What is a claim in construction

construction industry

Minimum wage in construction

In the construction industry, the following minimum wages apply to all employees - including those who are sent to Germany by their employer from abroad:

minimum wage

in construction

since 01/01/2018


from March 1st, 2019


For simple and

unskilled work

11.75 euros

throughout Germany

12.20 euros

throughout Germany

For skilled workers

and workers or

for qualified,

semi-skilled activities

West 14.95 euros

East 11.75 euros

Berlin 14.80 euros

West 15.20 euros

East 12.20 euros

Berlin 15.05 euros


This wage must be paid for every hour worked (including overtime). Taxes and social security contributions (pension insurance, health insurance, unemployment insurance, long-term care insurance) are deducted from the gross wage. The minimum wage must not be fallen below! Not even through other costs, such as B. for accommodation, transport to the construction site or the cost of tools, work equipment or safety clothing.

Pay due

The wages must be paid by the middle of the following month at the latest and are usually transferred to your account. The employer must give you a written pay slip every month. It says how much you have earned and what amounts of taxes and social security have been deducted.

Accommodation on Mondays

When you are on the assembly line, the employer has to find accommodation for you and pay for it. You are also entitled to a flat-rate meal allowance of 24 euros per working day for the away jobs.

Vacation entitlement / vacation fund procedure

You are entitled to 30 days of paid vacation per year. Since many employees in the construction industry frequently change their job, the vacation entitlement is recorded by the social insurance fund for the building industry (SOKA-BAU) in the "vacation fund procedure". You acquire 1 day of vacation after every 12 days of employment in a construction company. If you work the whole year, you are therefore entitled to 30 days of vacation per year. If you change business, take your vacation entitlements with you to the next business. If you only use part of the vacation days that you have earned in a certain year or not at all, you can take the vacation days you are entitled to until December of the following year. After that, your entitlement expires!

Every employer pays monthly contributions to SOKA-BAU.

If you take vacation, your employer will get your vacation allowance reimbursed by SOKA-BAU.

Once a year, SOKA-BAU will send you an account statement, including contains the following information:

  • Employers you worked for
  • Number of days you've been busy
  • The amount of your gross wages as reported by your employers
  • Vacation entitlement and vacation days taken

This account statement is based on the data that your employer has transmitted to SOKA-BAU. Check this data and complain about incorrect data to the employer within 2 months of receiving the account statement. If you have any problems, contact SOKA-BAU directly.

Health insurance coverage

As soon as you are employed subject to social security contributions in Germany, you are entitled to health insurance. Your employer pays the monthly contributions to your health insurance company. As soon as you are a member of a health insurance company, you will receive a health insurance card with which you can go to a doctor. The medical treatments are usually free of charge in Germany.

Continued payment of wages in the event of illness

If you have been working for an employer subject to social security contributions for more than 4 weeks, you will receive your full salary for up to 6 weeks in the event of illness. To do this, you must hand in a sick note from your doctor to the employer and the health insurance company. If you are ill for more than 6 weeks, you are entitled to sickness benefit from the health insurance company.

You must immediately notify the employer of your incapacity for work and its expected duration. Please also remember to send the sick note to your health insurer within 1 week of issuing it! If you fail to do this, you may lose your right to sickness benefits

Accidents at work

Your employer must register you with the employers' liability insurance association when you start working. This means that you are insured against accidents that occur while at work, on the way to or from the workplace.

BG BAU is one of the largest professional associations in Germany. As the provider of statutory accident insurance for the construction industry and construction-related services, it looks after around 2.8 million insured persons in around 500,000 companies and around 50,000 private construction projects.

BG BAU promotes occupational safety and health protection in the company and at the workplace. This avoids accidents at work and occupational diseases. In cases of accidents and occupational diseases, BG BAU offers comprehensive support and restores the performance of those affected by all suitable means or pays financial compensation.
As a public corporation, BG BAU is under state supervision. In particular, this means that it is bound by statutory provisions such as the Social Security Code.


When a serious accident has happened! The most important information at a glance


Important: If you have an accident at work, tell the hospital that the accident happened at work. If your employer, supervisor or foreman advises you to tell the hospital that it is not an accident at work, your employer has probably not registered you for social security. Call a counseling center or speak to your union and find out more. It could be a scam! If you don't speak German well enough, ask for someone who speaks your language at the hospital.

Further information can be found at: www.bgbau.de

In the construction industry, workers are often cheated of their wages. What can you do about it?

  • Write down the start, finish and duration of your daily work, including breaks and overtime.
  • Make a note of the names and telephone numbers of colleagues who can testify to your information.
  • Make a note of the addresses of the construction sites you are working on.
  • Make a note of the name and contact details of the company you work for, the name of the general manager, and anyone else who will give you directions.
  • Make a note of the name and contact details of the company acting as the general contractor.
  • Write down the name and contact details of the site manager.
  • Take photos of the construction site, especially with the poster describing the construction project.
  • Don't sign anything you don't understand.

Status: January 2018

Files to download: