What are the people of New Zealand
Barbara Linton, 59, runs the Morepork Riverside Lodge in the Bay of Islands on the North Island of New Zealand with her husband Paul. She also works as a museum guide on the Waitangi Treaty Grounds.
"We don't see government action as strict in the sense of bad or dictatorial. We see closing our borders as the best way to keep our people and thus our economy as covid-free as possible. It is true that our greatest export, the Tourism has been hit hard, but as a Maori proverb says: 'he tāngata, he tāngata, he tāngata' - it's about the people, the people, the people.
For a high-quality bed & breakfast like ours with an international occupancy of 93 percent, the border closure means that business is almost completely slumbering. Our style is to receive guests in our home and show them a piece of kiwi life. But that's not what New Zealanders are looking for on vacation. So we have practically no bookings until February next year. On the other hand, kiwis are now discovering their own land. Well-managed tourism businesses can survive - just like that! Companies like ours have received wage subsidies from the government to keep employees. Iconic sites like the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, where the first constitution was signed by the British Crown and New Zealand Maori peoples, also received subsidies. So my work as a guide in Waitangi continues and the whole program is offered, albeit for fewer visitors.
Things are tough, but we stay positive. In the meantime, we are working for the Electoral Commission as there are general elections on October 17th. The good thing is that we have more time for our family. During the first seven weeks of lockdown, we were teachers and babysitters for three of our six grandchildren. "
- Is Muslim an ethnicity or religion?
- Where is the Chinese military currently deployed
- Why don't tech companies hire international graduates
- What is pus swelling
- Why is Christianity declining in the west
- Are cats offended
- Billionaires should pay more taxes
- What's so great about Marilyn Manson musician
- Do you like your pizza crispy
- What can change your energy level quickly
- Life in Hong Kong is difficult
- What does love mean for men
- What is a pedestal in a building
- Https trafficnetworkads com is a scam site
- Who is your favorite Stark character
- Why do companies prefer to hire younger people?
- When does a boy become a man
- Individual dormitories on college campuses are expensive
- What is it like to live in Montreal
- Which countries do you pay for a medical degree
- Your heart is in Havana
- What is a primer in road construction
- What did Moses do before he died?
- Should you ever put work before family
- Which gospel music has the best pianist
- What is the best travel experience
- What does thin lip mean
- Multiple sclerosis can go away
- What are the Myers Briggs Personality Types
- Why should I never visit Seattle
- All Sikhs wear turbans
- What are senior citizens' hobbies
- Why does history repeat itself over and over again