Why did the uprising fail?
"We want to be free people!" June 17, 1953: popular uprising in the GDR
"In accordance with the proposals from the working class [...] the Central Committee of the Socialist Unity Party decided [...] that socialism should be built up in the German Democratic Republic according to plan." "So the minutes noted the words of Walter Ulbricht at the Second Party Conference of the SED in July 1952. But Ulbricht and comrades had no idea that their" planned construction "would lead to a popular uprising.
SED raises labor standards
The "intensified class struggle" resolved at the party conference led the GDR into a supply crisis within a few months. The absolute priority of heavy industry, the collectivization of agriculture, compulsory tax measures against craftsmen and private entrepreneurs and, last but not least, the establishment of the barracked People's Police depressed production and the mood. To avert a supply disaster, the SED increased labor standards by 10.3 percent on May 28, 1953.
After Stalin's death on March 5, 1953 and after tens of thousands had left the country due to the repression, the SED defused the class struggle again. The "New Course" - once again decreed by the Soviet Union - corrected the hard line, but the increase in norms was not withdrawn.
The republic is on fire
On June 16, the union newspaper "Tribüne" published an article by the FDGB deputy chairman who defended this decision. Provoked by this article, a march of construction workers formed in the morning in Berlin's Stalinallee, the center of the national development program.
- How to get unblocked from Instagram
- What is the price of perfume
- How much does an applicant tracking system cost
- How high can a fighter plane fly
- What does Boeing do better than Airbus
- How should TCS Bangalore work
- How expectations undermine our happiness
- Where can I buy natural blue sapphire
- Morgellons disease is recognized by doctors
- Who doesn't like chicken
- Is the GDP growth above 4 too high
- Which work has the highest salary
- Today's music lacks originality
- What is the risk of not taking a risk
- It is dangerous to smell fuel
- How can you judge the personality of a person
- What is the best wallet for Etherium
- What were your best stock market investments?
- What is recruiting in HRM
- What are trusted political news sources
- Who are the greatest Sith Lords
- Why is communication important in the workplace
- Why does weed smell like a skunk
- What is the oldest stadium in the world