Why do male ants die after copulation
The life of an ant
The wedding flight
The ants' impressive wedding flight usually takes place in spring. Depending on the ant species, the time is different and depends on the season and the weather.
During the wedding flight, the females, who are called queens after mating, receive many millions of sperm cells. They keep these in the so-called seed pouch for several years, in some cases even for more than 20 years. This supply must last the queen for her whole life. The workers are not mated, they are sterile.
After mating, the males die. The fertilized females shed their wings and either found a new state or they find an existing ant colony to take them in.
From spring to autumn the queens are then busy laying eggs. Wood ant queens produce around 300 eggs a day, one type of driver ants even manages 50 million a year.
From egg to insect
After egg-laying, the workers immediately take over the egg and bring it to a nest chamber, in which optimal temperature and humidity conditions prevail. Here the ant nurses lick the eggs regularly so that they stay clean and do not dry out. When the small ant larva finally hatches from the egg, the larval period begins.
The ant larvae are maggot-shaped, without legs or eyes. The larvae still have to be fed and cleaned by the brood carers. Despite the soft larval skin, the growing ant has to throw off the old, too small body shell again and again. This process can be repeated between three and six times.
When the larva moults for the last time, the so-called prepupa becomes the actual pupa, in which one can already recognize the typical characteristics of an ant: the structure of the body, the mouthparts and antennae.
The dolls are also looked after and guarded by the workers. Finally, the brood carer helps the fully developed ant to hatch from the cocoon.
Male or female?
The development from egg to ant takes different times in different species. It takes about six weeks for the wood ant.
The life expectancy of an ant also depends on its species and gender. While the males die shortly after the wedding flight, the workers live for an average of two years. Only the queens are very long-lived, they are between ten and 20 years old.
The queen alone determines whether the egg will develop into a male or a female. If the eggs do not receive sperm when they are deposited - i.e. if they remain unfertilized - males develop from them. Workers and sexually active females (the later queens) arise from fertilized eggs.
Many factors decide whether the larva becomes a worker or a sexually active female: the quantity and quality of the food, the temperature and humidity in the nest, the length of the day, the size and yolk content of the eggs and the age of the queen.
- Which websites sell innovative products in the US
- What are some Burning Man horror stories
- What materials are used for road construction
- Is it good to be an elitist?
- Is wisdom from nature or care
- How lying affects relationships
- How do they build very high walls
- Which country does Neymar represent in football
- Why did Paul McCartney suing the Beatles
- How will your life be without hope
- Will I go to heaven or hell
- Compatibility is an absolute must for marriage
- When should we start planning for retirement?
- Why do people always know me
- Which people get benefits in the UK
- What is an advice for aspiring entrepreneurs
- New Zealand has unemployment
- Are color-blind people eligible for the power supply
- Why is ethics important in business communication
- What is the fee for LUMS
- What are the best conversations between boyfriend and girlfriend
- Who is Queen Victoria
- How should people live
- How can I survive in cold weather?