Why do dogs attack people
Aggressive dogs: three tips on how to behave properly
Dogs attacking people keep making headlines. But why does "man's best friend" suddenly attack? In an interview with t-online.de, animal psychologist Julia Blüher explains the behavior of aggressive dogs and gives tips on how to protect yourself from attacks.
Why do dogs attack people?
The worst scenario for every dog owner: your own animal bites a person to death. But why do these incidents keep happening? "Dogs are hunting animals. The individual case should always be analyzed here and no general evaluation should take place," explains Blüher. "In most cases the dog wants to protect his pack - the family or the owner - or his territory. Or he defends himself in case of wrong treatment. If you fall on your back in an attack and show your unprotected throat, many dogs bite reflexively too, as it is part of their hunting behavior. Overall, dogs rarely kill people, and the reverse is far more common. "
Are there naturally aggressive dogs?
"Aggression is not always to be assessed as negative. In the animal kingdom it is also necessary in order to be able to resolve conflicts more clearly and quickly, for example," says the animal psychologist and points out: "There are dog breeds whose stimulus threshold for aggression is breed-related lower In principle, however, any dog can become a weapon through human hands. It is also true that some dog breeds are more dangerous than others simply because of their bite force. "
This is how you should react to aggressive dogs
For example, if you come across a free-roaming, aggressive dog while taking a walk, you should pay attention to these three points according to the expert:
- Avoid eye contact.
- Do not make hasty movements.
- Do not irritate the animal.
If, on the other hand, your own dog shows aggressive behavior, you should seek professional help: "Immediately stop doing what provokes the dog. You shouldn't experiment for a long time and ask a good animal psychologist for help," recommends Blüher (www .tierpsychologin-sinzig.de).
When does it make sense to use a muzzle?
"A muzzle is always useful when the dog's environment or the dog itself has to be protected," says the animal psychologist. However, the dog owner has to consider a few things with this method. "Before putting on the muzzle, the dog should be trained, the animal shouldn't find wearing the muzzle uncomfortable or even a punishment."
As a general rule, try to stay calm when a dog approaches you. Fortunately, in many cases the following sentence actually applies: "He just wants to play."
- What to do in Dallas
- Which companies are hiring new electrical engineering graduates?
- Which schools have the largest biology departments?
- What do you think of nursing homes
- How can motivation be relative to learning
- Why eye contact is actually not that important
- Does Donald Trump have an alias
- How is the police seen in your country?
- What does a mechanic usually do
- You can put Sudocrem on your vagina
- What are government jobs 1
- What are the richest cities in Asia
- Does the Chinese language have an alphabet
- What's unique about your last name
- Why do many people not trust God?
- What are the different types of fences
- Cash you handwritten checks
- How bad is it to be fired
- The iPad is the first tablet
- Should you fire a difficult customer
- Why is Antarctica uninhabitable for humans
- Which is better MMMUT or IET Lucknow
- What are the benefits of web scraping
- What did treason teach you?