Which is more important dignity or life
(& copy bpb)If something always has value, one says: it has dignity. Everyone has a dignity. Human dignity means that everyone is valuable because they are human.
Article 1 (1) of the Basic Law states:
The dignity of man is inviolable. It is the duty of all state authorities to respect and protect them.
This is how the philosopher Immanuel Kant explains human dignity:
Things are valuable when we can use them. Shoes, for example, are valuable if they fit and you can walk easily in them. When the shoes are broken and no one can walk in them, they have no more value.
It's different with humans. That is why Kant says: Everything has a value, but man has a dignity. What has dignity is always valuable. A person is always valuable. Even if he is sick or unable to work.
What has dignity even has a special value. For example, if a person dies, you cannot simply replace him with another.
Article 1 protects people in their dignity.
The state must never treat a person as if he is worthless. The state must not leave a person who is in great danger alone, as if he were not worthy. The state must also protect people from others who treat them as if they are worthless.
Under no circumstances may the dignity of a person be violated. It doesn't matter how old a person is, what religion they have, what state they come from and whether they are a woman or a man. Human dignity is the most important rule in the German constitution. Nobody is allowed to violate a person's dignity.
That means: Nobody has the right to do violence to another person.
For example, during the Nazi era, disabled people were detained and killed because they had a disability. This is called "Euthanasia" murders.
Human dignity forbids such a thing. Nobody should be tortured or killed.
All people must be treated with dignity. No person who really needs help should be left alone.
This also applies, for example, to all people who are sick. And for all children who are without parents.
The dignity of people who have broken a law must also be respected. This has been confirmed by the Federal Constitutional Court.
It decided, for example, that people in prison must also have the hope that they will be able to leave the prison at some point. Also someone who murdered another person.
A life without hope is not humane. A court must therefore check after 15 years whether a person can leave prison again.
Back to the home page: simply POLITICS. Lexicon in simple language
- Are startups overrated 1
- What is a pay slip
- How do I deal with a conversation
- What are consulting services
- Which is the best TCS or Cognizant
- What is an unclaimed title
- Do online relationships work overseas
- Are pedicures worth it?
- The state governments pay federal income taxes
- What's wrong with the young generation
- Which country tourists visit Bali the most
- Was Poland involved in the Holocaust
- Who invented the running shoe?
- Are all Americans descendants of immigrants
- How do banks justify their overdraft fees?
- Who introduced the school system
- How rich is Bill Gates
- Domestic perpetrators ever regret their behavior
- Is Thailand easy to travel alone
- Is the US in a trade war?
- What it takes to work in australia
- The emergency room burns out its staff
- Chinese people eat snake sandwich
- Cambridge MA is part of Boston
- Anxiety disorder is a curable disease
- What is a great gift for the elderly
- What is your favorite fish and why
- Why are so many British atheists?
- Why don't I like couples
- The best vengeance is not vengeance
- What's the best thing about California
- The fear of higher taxes before investments
- Is there wheelchair access in Ahmedabad
- Rethinking can lead to suicide