Is killing an animal justified?
human and animal
Born in 1970; Studied philosophy in Frankfurt am Main, then worked as an author in the features section of the Frankfurter Rundschau for several years; since 2006 freelance writer and journalist; most recently published: "Manifesto of the Many. Germany is reinventing itself" (2011) and "Country life. From one who pulled out" (2011). www.hilalsezgin.de
introductionAnyone who asks about what is allowed and what is supposed to be in the realm of morality. And that is also assumed for all of the following considerations: that there is morality between people. We try not to harm other people, we respect their property, their physical integrity; they are not allowed to kill, not to strike without emergency, etc. With animals, on the other hand, all this seems to be completely in order: we lock them up, inflict pain on them, take away their offspring, kill them without attacking us. Why? Is that in order?
That people have always used animals for their own purposes can hardly be an argument. Humans have always fought wars, kept human slaves. But societies continue to develop, our morals continue to develop, and a dichotomy is opening up before us more and more: Today we have more opportunities than ever to manipulate and use animals as we see fit. In spite of this (or perhaps because of it) many people have the inkling that the subordination of animals to humans, which for so long seemed a matter of course, should be put on the moral test of animal ethics.
Although some thinkers from ancient times through the Middle Ages to modern times have proclaimed compassion for animals, "animal ethics" is a contemporary debate under that name. It was first created in the context of English-language philosophy in the 1970s. It goes without saying that it cannot be mapped nearly completely here; Rather, I want to single out and sharpen arguments and situations that we encounter particularly often in everyday life, beginning with the use of animals for food purposes and with reference to human "nature", with which meat consumption is often justified.
- What are the most epic 911 calls
- What did the vikings eat 1
- What are the most successful rebrands
- What's the best book on abstract algebra
- How strong are Shaolin monks
- Is chicken sausage healthier than pork sausage
- What are some traditional desserts from Egypt
- How many musicians are left-handed
- Silence leads to self-realization
- Which is the most famous Chinese media
- What do Filipinos think of Latinos
- Is seaweed vegetables or not vegetables
- How is society sexist towards men?
- How is KARVY Stock Broking Limited
- How do I find friends who have been lost for a long time
- Germany will be on the far right again
- Can a Christian marry a Jew
- How is China's J 20
- Do Indians need a visa for Singapore
- Australian girls like Asian men
- How useful is the internet
- Why is China occupying Shanghai
- How many children did your grandparents have?
- How can you host an exchange student?
- What happened to the Umayyad Caliphate?
- Is social entrepreneurship more difficult than normal entrepreneurship
- Have you ever tossed lettuce
- What is the most livable city in China
- Is Shanghai a tourist-friendly city
- How do I track a license plate
- How does anger affect stuttering?
- What percentage of Wikipedia changes will be reset
- What is program review in relation to software