Can all Canadians speak French?
The official languages in Canada are English and French.
However, 20% of the population in Canada say they do not speak English or French as a first language. Official bilingualism is stipulated in the Official Language Act. Therefore, citizens of Canada have the right to receive services in English as well as in French. Schools must also guarantee that they will teach both languages.
60% said English and French were their mother tongue. Overall, 98.5% of all Canadian residents said they spoke English and French. 67.5% only speak English and 13.3% only speak French.
The French stronghold of Canada is Québec. 85% of all French speakers live here. Ontario makes up the second most francophone population. They also live in Alberta, Maintoba, New Brunswick, Akadier, Nova Scotia and on Cape Breton Island. Québec is the only city that has declared French as the sole official language through the Charter of the French Language.
As a general rule in Canada, all schools, courts and government documents must be held in English and French.
In addition to English and French, which can also be learned very well with language trips, other languages have become established in Canada. These include above all Chinese with approx. 1 million speakers, Italian approx. 455,000, German approx. 450,000, Punjabi approx. 370,000 and Spanish with approx. 345,000.
One of the extinct Canadian languages is Canadian Gaelic, which was the third most common language in Canada around the middle of the 19th century. Today this language is spoken by less than 1,000 people, mostly elderly.
- How racist is Boston
- Why is HSE important
- Is nautae Romani or nautae Romanae correct?
- What goes well with baked beans
- Doctors will pay less in the future
- Poor people should be taxed
- When does an uprising become a revolution?
- What are some proxy websites
- What is your country incredibly famous for
- Why does weed smell like burned plastic
- What are the best drain cleaning methods
- What is the best home security system
- How should your VAG smell
- Are anti-Trump protests valid?
- What's interesting in Chinese culture
- Why don't planes fall from aircraft carriers
- Is it really difficult to live alone
- After 4 failed relationships, it's me
- Why do I cry in stressful situations
- What is Monero about
- What if a girl has stinky feet
- How can the Colombian people improve Colombia
- How does the family affect self-esteem?
- Is being a teacher a good job