How does National Socialism work
The Nazi era: war and terror
On January 30, 1933, Adolf Hitler was appointed Chancellor of the Reich. From then on, the National Socialists enforced their absolute claim to leadership - with the help of terror and propaganda. The victims of the persecution are mainly political opponents and Jews. On November 9, 1938, "Jewish policy" reached a new dimension: the Nazi regime called for the destruction of Jewish shops and institutions. Almost a year later, Germany started World War II with the attack on Poland. The height of horror is the Holocaust: by the end of their rule, the Nazis systematically murder more than six million Jews.
Nazi election campaign and takeover of power in the north
In 1931 100,000 SA men in brown uniforms march through Braunschweig. With such demonstrations of power, the Nazis fight their way to power in northern Germany. Contemporary witnesses remember. more
May 1933: Nazis burn books
On May 10, 1933, the Nazis start a campaign "Against the un-German spirit". Hundreds of books, mostly by Jewish authors, are banned and publicly burned. more
1937: Nazis turn Hamburg into a metropolis
On April 1, 1937, the Nazi rulers unite Altona, Wandsbek and Harburg with Hamburg. For the planned war, Hitler needed a strong industrial and economic metropolis. more
Hitler's Port: The Nazi Plans for Hamburg
A gigantic Elbe bridge, a skyscraper in Altona: This is how the Hamburg architect Konstanty Gutschow planned a new port. Countless clinker bricks were needed - produced in Neuengamme concentration camp. more
Hitler's aircraft carrier: "Graf Zeppelin"
On December 8, 1938, the "Graf Zeppelin" was launched in Kiel. But the huge aircraft carrier never comes into action and mysteriously disappears after the end of the war. more
The 833 days of the "Bismarck"
On February 14, 1939, Nazi Germany celebrated the launch of the "Bismarck" in Hamburg. A good two years later, the battleship sinks after a chase in the Atlantic. more
Finally stop being afraid
At the age of twelve, Ceija Stojka was liberated from the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp by the British. In an interview with the NDR, she told how she experienced the moment in April 1945. more
The second World War
The Second World War begins with the German invasion of Poland on September 1, 1939. Years of fighting cost the lives of more than 50 million people worldwide. more
- Is Martinique a poor country
- What pawnbrokers pay the most for
- Is Hinduism a religion or not
- Which led to prison gangs being formed
- Are you gay why
- You can get rich advice
- Why do we have tax havens
- Why do Indians discriminate against East Asian people
- How is ecological sustainability defined?
- What are the values of modern teenagers
- Why do you have asthma
- Can you electrify your fence?
- Why do some people avoid sleep
- What is personal improvement through motivation
- Can we lie to someone we love?
- Is seaweed vegetables or not vegetables
- What are some jobs for anthropologists
- The ASU awards scholarships to international students
- Can swimming really cure sciatica
- How do I change my job profile
- How does Surstromming smell
- How does Go Jek compare to GrabBike
- Can I start a new life in Bhutan
- Smells turpentine oil like kerosene