What is a server made of
The server - functionality, types and structure simply explained
Table of Contents
Servers are reliable, central contact points for data, enable fast loading times and protect against data loss.
We explain how servers work, what different types there are and which devices are suitable for companies.
Definition: what is a server?
A server is a powerful, central network computer. It makes its resources available to other computers. Functional and infrastructural network services are implemented via the server.
Data that several people need to access can be saved here.
However, the term server has a double meaning. You have to distinguish between two different server definitions:
Definition of server hardware
A hardware server is a computer that makes its resources available over a network. The server is a computer that is integrated into a computer network. In addition to the operating system, one or more software-based servers run on a hardware server. A hardware-based server is often referred to as a “host”.
Definition of server software
A software-based server is a program that offers a special service. This service is used by other programs - also called clients - locally or via a network.
Servers are often the most developed computers in a network. Thus, they have large hard disk capacities and a fast central processing unit (CPU).
In principle, servers can either work in a closed (company) network or be accessible via the Internet.
Buy suitable servers for the item:
Structure of the server - what are the components of a server?
The structure of a server consists of:
- Graphics adapter
- Network adapter
- Random Access Memory (RAM)
- CPU with heat pipe
- Power supplies
- RAID hard disk group for operating system
- RAID controller
The components show an exemplary structure of a server. Not all of them are imperative. For example, there are also servers without fans.
How does a server work?
Server services are provided via a computer network based on the client-server model. Tasks are distributed to different computers and made available to several end users independently of one another. Every service that is made available over a network is offered by a server. The server is working without interruption. This is the only way clients such as web browsers or e-mail programs can actively access the server at any time and use its services as required.
How a server works
The server thus comes into contact with the client. Both can communicate with each other using a suitable protocol. Through this protocol they speak the same language. The client requests data from the server. The server delivers this. This can be different data - depending on the type of server.
What servers are there?
|Web server||A web server stores web pages, processes them and delivers them to clients such as web browsers or search engine crawlers.|
|File server||This server is used for the central storage of files. In this way, the various clients can access these files via a network. Companies especially like to use this type of server. This means that several workgroups can access the same files.|
|Mail server||A mail server consists of several software modules that interact so that e-mails can be received and sent. They are also kept ready for retrieval.|
|Database server||The database server enables other programs to access one or more database systems.|
|Game server||A game server will be set up especially for online-based multiplayer games. It manages the data of online games and enables synchronous interaction with the virtual world.|
|Proxy server||This server serves as a communication interface in computer networks. It accepts requests from the network and forwards them via its own IP address. A proxy server is used, for example, to filter communication, to increase availability through load distribution or to temporarily store data. It also enables anonymization, as the client's IP address remains hidden behind that of the proxy.|
|DNS server||DNS servers are used for name resolution in a network. They translate host names - such as www.example.de - into a corresponding IP address.|
Fanless servers - noiseless & durable
Fanless servers are more expensive than their actively ventilated counterparts, but they have a lot ahead of them.
No fan is installed in the fanless server. With no moving parts, the server is not only less prone to errors and maintenance, it is also significantly more robust.
The device can withstand rough and dirty work environments (warehouses, production facilities, ...) without being damaged.
All in all, the fanless server is more durable.
The lack of a fan not only makes the server more durable, but also significantly quieter to noiseless.
This has a particularly positive effect in work environments that require quiet to work efficiently, such as open-plan offices or the medical sector.
For a long time, fanless servers and fanless PCs were perceived as being less powerful than devices with active ventilation. That has changed. The inexpensive actively ventilated server can only be worthwhile if it is very resource-intensive.
What are the advantages of having your own server?
Are you considering buying your own server? Having your own server has many advantages:
- Flexible data access: All the data that your company needs is stored centrally. This eliminates the hassle of searching for documents.
- Data security: If the hardware fails, data that is only stored locally on one computer is quickly lost. A server protects against this loss of data because all data is retained even in the event of a hardware failure.
- Improved performance: Since you don't have to share your server with other customers like with shared hosting, you get full performance with your own server. As a result, you often have shorter loading times.
- Less overload and downtime: Overloads are a key problem in shared hosting. The server's resources are shared and the entire server can quickly become overloaded.
When does it make sense to have your own server?
If you want to share data in your company network, we recommend purchasing a server. Be it e-mail communication, the management of customer databases or quick access to the online shop. Smaller companies can benefit from purchasing a server just as much as large corporations. Because data loss can take place anywhere. A server makes work easier in the company and contributes to a large extent to data security.
Buying a server - what should I pay attention to?
As the number of digital processes increases, so do the demands on the server. But what do you have to look out for when you want to buy a server?
- Which server suits your needs? There are many different servers. They differ primarily in terms of size, performance, reliability and power consumption. IT managers should therefore ask themselves which and how many applications should run on the server. The number of users is also important when choosing the right server. How many users will be using the server? And how many transactions will take place?
- What is the power consumption of my selected server? In an overall comparison, the power consumption over the life cycle of a server accounts for around 70 percent of the total costs. Therefore, you should also think about energy efficiency. We pay particular attention to energy efficiency in our servers. In this way, the server remains profitable for your company in the long term.
- How loud is the server? If there is a server in the office, you should of course also pay attention to the noise level. The server should work quietly so as not to disturb the concentration of the employees. Our servers all work particularly quietly - so as not to disrupt ongoing operations.
- The expansion options: Your company wants to grow - the server should of course be able to grow with it! Make sure that the server can be retrofitted.
- The service: Basically, a server is only as good as its range of services. Because extensive technical support is essential if you want to get a server. We have more than 25 years of experience in developing and producing IT solutions - we are happy to pass this experience on to you. Our competent service team will be happy to advise you!
- How much ram? How much RAM a server needs depends on the purposes for which you want to use it. Our servers tailored to companies promise smooth processes with 8 GB, for example.
Which server is right for my company? Three servers in comparison
The range of servers is huge - but which server is right for your company? We have examined three different models for you - the exone Challenge 1911G6 1220 Foundation12, the exone Proxima 1222G5 2620 IR 5 Free Dos and the Acer AC100.
The exone Challenge Server
The exone Challenge is an entry-level server and is optimally tailored to the needs of small companies. When developing the server, particular care was taken to ensure that the server works as quietly as possible. With the exone Challenge, up to 64GB DDR4 ECC memory are possible and it has a server SSD. It scores particularly well when it comes to the price / performance ratio - a real all-rounder for small businesses.
The exone Proxima server
The exone Proxima servers offer you maximum flexibility, performance and security paired with a high degree of efficiency. The dual socket systems meet all requirements for demanding applications. With the latest technologies and components that have been tested and certified for server use, the exone Proxima servers offer you optimal investment protection.
The Acer AC100
With the Acer AC100, Acer has also launched an entry-level server for small and very small businesses. It can score with its low heat generation. With a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, it is rather cautious, as is the expansion and connection options with just one PCIe x8 connection and just six USB 2.0 ports.
Our servers - tailor-made for your company
Would you like to purchase your own server for your company? Of course, we will support you in this - regardless of your business model or your industry. Our aim is to always deliver a perfectly fitting IT system and our diverse range of products is sure to offer the right solution for your requirements. We attach great importance to the durability, low energy consumption and quiet operation of our products.
Benefit from our extensive service package:
- free custom pre-installation
- flexible built-to-order product portfolio
- fast delivery
- extensive technical support
- individual on-site service concept
With us you get the all-round carefree package for your server.
Would you also like a tailor-made IT solution for your company? Get free advice!
Contact us now free of charge and without obligation - our team of experts will be happy to help you competently at any time.
You can reach us by phone Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or 24/7 by email or using our contact form.
Do you like the article? Share it on Facebook!
- Improves ReactJS Meteor js
- There are traditional British Easter dishes
- Who is Aries
- What is the National Citizen Register
- What is an explanation for the invisible hand
- Why are industries moving to other countries
- What makes rattlesnakes poisonous
- How does politics affect people or society?
- Couples still escape
- Relationships have changed in today's generation
- What are some amazing revelations that you have had
- Smelling gasoline can kill you
- When are NBA players paid
- Why are governments created
- What does Azerbaijan do better than Turkey?
- What's your strangest story in the emergency room
- How can a man have a baby
- What's a Livable Salary in Denver CO
- Why isn't 25 the age of adulthood
- What do you think about life 1
- What justifies being an atheist?
- What is the psychology of sexism
- How do I get to Agra after Jaipur
- What types of employer contracts are there?
- Why are most LLCs in Delaware
- How effective is your resume
- Why did IBM lay off so many employees
- Muslims hate parsis
- What do young managers fear most?
- What is the saddest truth about success
- What do Southeast Asians think of China
- Control China Hong Kong's future
- What are blockchain companies