Why are words pronounced differently in Spanish?
In-depth knowledge: the pronunciation of certain combinations of letters in Spanish
Now that you know a lot about the pronunciation of vowels and consonants in Spanish, this chapter is about learning about certain combinations of letters. Some combinations are pronounced differently than in German.
Pronunciation of the letter combination CH
The letter combination “ch” is spoken differently in Spanish than in German: Here it sounds like a “tsch” sound.
ocho [otʃo] - dt. eight / mucho [mutʃo] - dt. much (adv.)
Pronunciation of the letter combinations GU and GÜ
- In the combinations “gue” and “gui” the U remains silent and the syllables are spoken as [ge] and [gi].
la hamburguesa ['amburgesa] - dt. the hamburger / alguien [algjen] - dt. someone
- If the U should be pronounced, then it gets two points. These two points are called trema. Please do not confuse this letter with the German Ü!
la lingüística [linguistika] - the science of linguistics / Parque Güell * [park gʊeʎ] - a famous park in Barcelona (* In this case it is a Catalan name, here the ll is pronounced like l)
Pronunciation of the letter combination LL
The double L is spoken in Spanish like an “lj” sound [ʎ] - comparable to the pronunciation of the German word “million”.
la silla [siʎa] - dt. the chair / ella [eʎa] - dt. she (Pers. pron. Sg.)
Pronunciation of the letter combination QU
The Qu is pronounced like a German K.
pequeño [pekeɲo] - German small / aquí [aki] - German here
In the next chapter we look at how words are stressed in Spanish.
- Which is considered a waste of time
- How much does a car cost
- Is CFA really worth the hard work
- Which fast food chains are international
- What is the workability of concrete
- How does military spending affect the economy?
- Did Adam Lambert ruin the Queen
- Future generations will hate us
- Can i see a japanese manuscript
- What does winter mean
- How often do you take a bath
- How can politics influence the economy?
- The green lantern is often underestimated
- What is family life
- Can user experience design be carried out remotely
- Hate Jimin and V Jin
- What's the most misunderstood thing about death
- How much do Americans read on average?
- How was your experience with braces
- Why do I hate my generation
- How much is 8 8x8 8 8
- Is the reservation system in INDIA correct?
- What are good recipes for vegetarian students
- Should you give money to your parents