What is nursing What do nurses do
Nurse: duties, salary, training + application
- Home »
- Job profile "
- Nurse: duties, salary, training + application
The job title “nurse” is popular but out of date. Today there is only “training to become a nurse” or “nurse” or “nurse” (meanwhile, “nurse”). With the corona pandemic at the latest, the profession has become enormously important. Nurses and caregivers are considered systemically relevant. The demand for skilled workers has been increasing for years, as have job and career prospects. What you need to know about the responsible job description, salary, tasks and training ...
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
The nurse profession is physically and mentally demanding. Nurses are the link between doctor and patient. You are primarily responsible for looking after and caring for patients in hospitals. They monitor their recovery and emotional wellbeing. In emergencies, they are responsible for carrying out vital immediate measures until a doctor arrives. The main tasks include:
- Medical treatments
- Measurement and documentation of vital signs
- Assistance with examinations
- Help with food intake or personal hygiene
- OP preparation
- Support with operative interventions
- Organizational tasks
There are also nursing tasks. Nurses administer medication to the sick and change bandages. Documenting patient data is also one of her tasks. This is how they record every change in the patient's medical record. Further tasks are:
- Setting of syringes
- Applying infusions
- Change of bed linen
- Conversations with patients and relatives
The job is responsible, varied, but also exhausting. Nurses work shifts. This is often at the expense of private life. A good work-life balance is rare.
The training to become a qualified nurse (or "nurse") is uniformly regulated in Germany. It lasts three years and takes place in nursing schools, most of which are attached to hospitals. There is the possibility of completing part-time training. It lasts five years.
Requirement for training is a completed school education. At least “intermediate maturity”. Anyone with a secondary school diploma must have previously completed another (at least 2 years) training or have trained as a nursing assistant.
During the training to become a nurse, 2,100 hours of theory lessons and 2,500 hours of practical experience are on the curriculum. The course content is divided into five areas:
- personal hygiene
- General wound care
- Administration of medication
- Medical basics
- Prophylaxis and care
There is also theoretical content from health, humanities and social sciences. In the practical part of the training, the nurse goes through all relevant areas of medical care: surgery, internal medicine, neurology, orthopedics, ambulance, gynecology, psychiatry, geriatrics, pediatrics.
In the so-called differentiation phase the prospective nurse decides on a specialty in which she deepens her knowledge and later works. The training concludes after three years with the exam. The profession as a nurse is predominantly carried out by women. The proportion of women is around 80 percent.
What work clothes do a nurse wear?
Nurses and carers must adhere to strict hygiene regulations. That is why they usually wear what is known as a “tunic” - special hospital clothing consisting of white, blue or green trousers and a blouse. In addition, comfortable shoes such as mules.
When starting a career, a nurse earns between 2,100 and 2,300 euros, with collectively agreed pay according to TVöD, the salary can be higher. Private institutions often pay less. With increasing professional experience, the gross salary can rise to more than 3,300 euros per month.
Because of the wide range of possible uses of the job, the nurse's salary varies greatly. The income depends on the size of the employer, the region and one's own professional experience. In addition, it makes a difference whether a nurse works for a public, church or private institution and whether this institution is subject to a collective agreement. After all: the training is paid for.
Nurse salary in training
- 1st year of training: 950 to 1,000 euros gross per month
- 2nd year of training: 1,050 to 1,100 euros gross per month
- 3rd year of training: 1,150 to 1,200 euros gross per month
Nurse salary on job
* There are allowances for:Overtime, night shifts, weekend and holiday work, on-call and on-call duty as well as alternating and extra shifts.
Employer: Who is looking for nurses?
The job profile is one of the so-called "shortage occupations". Means: Nurses are in demand on the job market. Ascending trend. As a result of the aging of society, it is foreseeable that in ten or 20 years more elderly people and people in need of care will have to be cared for. The job prospects are correspondingly good.
As a nurse Nurses not only work in clinics and hospitals, but in various industries in the healthcare sector. So not only in care or therapy, but also in diagnosis and rehab. They are also wanted by these employers:
- Specialist practices
- Health centers
- Sanatoriums and hospices
- Retirement homes and nursing homes
- Outpatient social services
- Dormitories for people with disabilities
- Health insurances
- Blood donation centers
- Hospital wards on ships
Jobs for nurses
Today you can find training positions and job offers for nurses mainly in online job exchanges - and in our own job exchange: Karrieresprung.de. As expected, the need for nurses in Germany is greatest in metropolitan areas and cities, above all: Berlin, Munich and Hamburg.
Career Opportunities: The Prospects As A Nursing Specialist?
The entry opportunities and career prospects for nurses are currently excellent. Nursing specialists are wanted nationwide. There has been a shortage of skilled workers in nursing for years. This will make the nurse's job profile a crisis-proof job in the future as well.
The job opportunities even improve with increasing specialization. Further training courses in demand are available for this purpose. For example in the following areas:
- Intensive care
- Pediatric nursing
- Pain management
- Ward and nursing management
In addition, nurses can train to become “business administrators for management in the healthcare sector”. As such, you will work closely with the hospital management and medical management. However, the nurse's tasks then include more controlling and budgeting as well as personnel planning, profitability analyzes and care organization.
Nurses with university entrance qualifications can in turn take some courses such as nursing science, nursing education or management. Quite a few nurses complete a medical degree after completing their training and then work as doctors.
Nurse application: tips & templates
If you want to work as a nurse, you should have a keen interest in medical and scientific topics. A social streak, sociability, patience and willingness to help are basic requirements for the job. Of course, you should be able to have some small talk in the job and not be afraid of injections or blood.
In the application - especially in the cover letter and résumé - it is particularly important that candidates have these soft skills and competencies:
- Resilience and stress resistance
- Sense of responsibility
- Communication talent
- Ability to work in a team
- Calm charisma
In addition, aspiring nurses should not be afraid of physical contact when dealing with patients. To be free from fear of contact is essential in order to be able to pursue the profession. Formulations that you can use for example in your cover letter are:
- "Especially when things get hectic, I manage to stay calm and keep track of which tasks have to be done."
- “It is important to me to be more than just a caregiver for my patients. My empathy and my open ear allow me to be a sensitive partner on the way to recovery and to show understanding for dissatisfied patients. "
The majority of the application itself now takes place via the Internet. Therefore, please also note our tips for online applications and applications by e-mail.
Free templates with sample text
Benefit from our free application templates. You can download these individually as a Word file by clicking on "Cover letter", "Cover sheet" or "CV" - or as a complete application set by clicking on the preview image. You will then receive all three Word templates combined in one zip file.
➠ Template / sample: cover letter, cover sheet, curriculum vitae
Use our other professional designs and free application templates to apply. More than 120 professional templates for CV, cover letter and cover sheet as WORD files including sample texts can be found here:
To the application templates
Back to the overview of job profiles
- What color pants should I wear
- How can supply increase when demand decreases
- How does deforestation affect our lives
- What does President Trump eat for lunch
- Make teen marriages last
- Which is better India or Pakistan
- How do diamond and emerald differ?
- Who uses software as a service
- What are the goals of multinational companies
- Indian Americans miss their homeland
- What is 49 1 10x10
- How could Indonesia develop relations with Israel?
- What is life and how does happiness come about
- How are French tourists treated in America
- How has your life changed unexpectedly
- What are the Most Common Chiropractor Procedures
- Men like women who betray them
- Am i still alive
- Why doesn't McKinsey pay overtime
- Liberalism dies
- How many states are there in Great Britain?
- How does technology bring society to life
- Effectively makes time travel money useless
- What changed your perception of black people
- What's the best book you've ever written
- Is there a future in psychology
- Is it a bad thing to be too social?
- How do you meet new couples
- Which gemstone should be worn
- What is driving America's economic recovery
- Why is the name Sean Shawn pronounced
- What would crash America?
- How would you rate your family