What interesting event happened at your workplace

This is how employers act in the event of an accident at work

As an employer, it is of course in your interest that your employees are fit and able to work and not sick or injured. Therefore - but also because you are responsible for your employees - do everything in advance to prevent accidents at work. But if it does happen, it's good to know what to do ...

What an accident is is clearly defined: namely as "a temporary event that has an external effect on the body and leads to damage to health or death" (Section 8, Paragraph 1, Clause 2 of Book VII of the Social Code). If such an event happens during work, it is an accident at work. The legislator even gives the definition a much broader definition: Accidents on the (direct) way to work or home from there are also classed as accidents at work, as are accidents during company sports, an official company outing or a business trip. But there are also borderline cases.

Work accident or not?

If an employee kicks his foot when he is on the way to lunch, it counts as an accident at work, or more precisely as an accident on the way. However, only if this path was not interrupted to do other, private things such as visiting a pharmacy. The statutory accident insurance also applies when going to the toilet - but not during a smoking break, because smoking is considered a private pleasure. But even if something happens directly at the workplace, insurance cover does not automatically exist: A heart attack at the desk, for example, does not count as an accident, because there is no external influence here.

Who pays for accidents at work?

It goes without saying that employers are responsible for the safety of employees. That is why they have to pay contributions to the statutory accident insurance for their employees - as compulsory insurance. This not only protects you against claims, but also all other employees who might be responsible for a colleague's work-related accident. Instead, this statutory accident insurance pays if the worst comes to the worst.

Incidentally, the employers' liability insurance associations are responsible for statutory accident insurance. There are currently nine commercial employers' liability insurance associations, which are divided into branches of industry such as construction, transport and traffic, or food and hospitality. In addition, there are agricultural trade associations and other social insurance providers, for example for the public service.

But in order for the respective trade association to pay for an accident at work, it must first be informed:

Don't forget to report an accident at work

As an employer, you are obliged to inform the accident insurance institution immediately what happened (Section 193 SGB VII) - this applies if the employee concerned is unable to work for more than three days. The report should be made within three days, preferably immediately in the event of serious injuries or death of the employee.