Keep mothballs away from skunks
There is nothing that stinks like a skunk smell. If you don't get rid of the odor properly, the odor can subside for up to two weeks or more. Below I am going to tell you some secrets to get rid of the odor.
When they are young, let your children know that skunks are something they should stay away from. Explain to them that they are spraying. If the spray gets in your eyes it will hurt and may cause temporary blindness.
Get the scent from your pet first
Most skunk attacks begin with a dog barking at the skunk. As soon as they chase the skunk, the smell starts. Our Siamese cat was sitting on top of our garbage can with the neighboring skunk. They were the best of friends. A dog is usually involved when a skunk is spraying a pet.
The Pomeranian we had years ago was sprayed. At the time, everyone said to use a tomato juice bath. It only removed half of the odor. You can get a special shampoo from your veterinarian that will work, but you can make your own, which is less expensive.
Add ¼ cup of baking soda to 2 cups of hydrogen peroxide (the kind you use for medicinal purposes). While it is still lathering, add a couple of large dashes of dish soap or 2 tablespoons of laundry soap. This will cause a chemical reaction and it would be a good idea to wear safety glasses to protect your eyes while you mix the solution. Be sure to use an open container. The baking soda and hydrogen peroxide can actually explode if you store it in a closed container. Discard any leftovers when you're done. This solution should not be saved.
Get the pet in a tub. Rub each area of the animal's fur. After that, rinse the entire mixture completely from the fur. Dry the animal well. This should remove the odor and will work for the first time in most cases. If it doesn't work, repeat the process.
Remove foul odor from people
An adult can accidentally scare a skunk. They love to eat pet food and can be out on deck at night or just leisurely strolling around the garden. If a skunk sprays you, run for the shower. Soap well with soap and shampoo your hair. Use a vinegar conditioner on your hair to get the smell out.
Remove any smelly odor from clothing
Launder the clothes asap. If you can't, put them on a trash bag or newspaper because the smells can get onto other surfaces. These items can be disposed of later.
After filling in the washing machine, after adding the laundry soap, add white vinegar. About 1/2 cup should be enough. If you don't have vinegar, use baking soda. The baking soda won't work as well though. Both vinegar and baking soda will help absorb the odor.
If the odor is strong, you may need to wash the clothes a second time with the vinegar. After washing, hang on a clothesline if you have one. Otherwise dry as usual.
Remove Skunk odor from the house
Unless your dog rubbed the skunk smell on the carpet or a skunk sprayed through a door, the smell is just in the air. The best thing you can do is ventilate your home by keeping the windows open. Then spray an air freshener.
If the spray got on any furniture or carpets in the house, use the same mixture that is used to clean your dog. Be sure to check the carpet first to make sure it doesn't remove any paint. Add ¼ cup of baking soda to 2 cups of hydrogen peroxide. While it is still lathering, add a couple of large dashes of dish soap or 2 tablespoons of laundry soap. Use this mixture and scrub the surface.
It can help clean all of the surfaces in the house. Keeping the windows open and ventilating the house is the best antidote. Professional services are also available.
Are skunks a problem in your area?
How to get rid of skunks
- Do not leave pet food outside. This will attract everything from skunks, possums, and even rats. All of these are nocturnal animals.
- Keep a lid on your trash cans. If you don't and you take your trash out at night, you might get an unpleasant surprise. Skunks love trash. Don't leave trash bags lying around.
- Get maggots out of your garden. In recent years our neighborhood has had a problem with skunks digging up our yards. It almost looks like a rototiller passed it over. They will eat earthworms, maggots, and other things in the ground. You really don't want to get rid of the earthworms. They keep the soil aerated and their housings fertilize it. So how are you going to get rid of the maggots? Look for environmentally friendly sprays for your garden.
- We've been on our lights since my son was on the third shift. This attracted June bugs. The beetles then laid their eggs in the ground and those that were hatched in grubs. The skunk did a real job in the field where the light shone. It can be a good idea not to leave single lights like us. Floodlights will keep the skunks out because they don't like bright lights. Dim lights don't work.
- At Garden Web, someone suggested placing mothballs in a narrow coffee pot. You need to poke holes in the top area. Do not touch the mothballs or inhale the fumes. Use rubber gloves and a mask to cover your nose and mouth. Don't breathe in the scent. Mothballs can cause health problems. Put it in areas the skunk may want to dig. Dogs and cats don't come because they don't like the smell. Make sure the lid is good and tight. Ammonia is also recommended and is safer than mothballs.
- Others suggest human urine. The skunks here don't go where dogs run, so dog urine might work too. It won't be good for your yard, but not as tough as the skunks dig it up or endure the smell they create.
- I also read that orange and lemon peel will keep them away. I have to try this out myself. We haven't had skunks since they all ate June Bug maggots. When they get back to our garden, I'll have to try. It sounds like the safest solution.
- What is the best retirement home
- What is your worst experience living in China
- What's stopping you from giving to charities?
- How does Singapore deal with its garbage
- More people are shopping online
- Suffering is an integral part of the human experience
- What is conventional vibration concrete
- Are Jewish people part of the Chinese culture?
- Can I start modeling when I am 30
- Which prophet has Allah seen?
- What's your best worst travel experience
- Who should take care of our child
- What is a federal credit union?
- What tension is American Samoa
- What is in the Vedas
- What are some Belgian foods
- What is the role of a manager
- What will Singapore be like in 2100
- How would Nigeria be today without colonization
- Can we unsubscribe from ESIC?
- Mold can grow on fungi
- How common are plantar warts
- BBC Russia is funded by UK taxpayers
- What are the benefits of food preservation
- What is unique about mainland Chinese women
- How do grapes grow in New Zealand
- What is the salary range on Google
- Well worth CA 2017
- Where do students end up with special needs?
- Stutters psychologically
- What are the best snacks for lunch
- When will tantrums decrease in young children