Who pays your taxes
Taxes for the self-employed
Paying taxes as a self-employed person
You have to pay taxes on the sales and profits that you generate from your business activities. The taxes for the self-employed depend, among other things, on the legal form of the company. However, you should already deal with the subject of taxes for the self-employed before setting up a business, even if you consider the subject of taxes to be difficult.
Admittedly, taxes for the self-employed can be confusing at first if you have little knowledge in this area. For this reason, we have listed the most important taxes for the self-employed and will explain them in more detail below.
Who pays what? Control at a glance
In the following table you will find the different types of tax at a glance. Then we will explain these in more detail.
|Taxes for the self-employed||Who pays the tax?|
|Sales tax or sales tax||every company can be claimed as input tax at the tax office; You then have to pay the sales tax that you show on your invoice to the tax office; if you use the small business regulation, you do not have to show sales tax on the invoice|
|Income tax||natural persons, small businesses or GbR|
|Corporation tax||Corporations such as GmbH, UG, Limited, AG, cooperative|
|Business tax||all traders - freelancers do not pay any trade tax|
|Input tax deduction||All entrepreneurs subject to VAT can deduct input tax|
|income tax||Employer pays for employees, find out more about payroll taxes and payroll accounting|
How do you do taxes and accounting?
Taxes, bookkeeping, annual financial statements - a tax advisor will help you reliably. The tax advisor can relieve you of a lot of work, so that you can concentrate on the core tasks of your company. We would be happy to recommend a suitable tax advisor on site at a transparent price - let us make you a non-binding offer.
But accounting software can also relieve you of a lot of work and, for example, automatically make the monthly advance tax return and prepare an annual financial statement according to EÜR. The software also saves you a lot of time when you create offers and invoices.
Income tax for the self-employed
- All natural persons must pay income tax.
- If you have a partnership (sole proprietorship, merchant, GbR or OHG), you pay income tax on the profit that you receive proportionately from the company's profit.
- If you are making a loss, you will not have to pay any income tax.
- The basic tax-free allowance, which increases annually, is not taxable for the self-employed.
Corporate income tax for the self-employed
- Legal entities have to pay corporation tax instead of income tax.
- Corporate income tax is due on the profits of corporations such as GmbH or AG.
- There are two tax liabilities here. You are subject to corporation tax without restriction if your company's registered office is in Germany. Limited corporation tax liability if the registered office and management are abroad, but there is income in Germany.
- Since 2010 this tax has been 15% for the self-employed.
Business tax for the self-employed
- This tax for the self-employed affects the company. Agriculture and the liberal professions are excluded from this.
- This means that almost all domestic companies and sole proprietorships are subject to trade tax, which is levied by the municipalities in which the company is based.
- A lot of money can be saved every year through the optimal choice of location.
- Companies subject to trade tax submit a trade tax return as part of their tax returns.
Input and sales tax for the self-employed
- Every self-employed person is obliged to invoice the sales tax, or sales tax, which is paid to the tax office. This is generally 19%, for food 7%.
- Sales tax is therefore levied on almost all sales that you make domestically.
- If, on the other hand, you purchase goods or services in advance, you can deduct the VAT calculated on them as input tax from the VAT you have to pay.
Tax ABC for the self-employed
- The subject of taxes for the self-employed is sometimes tough. It's good that you know where to ask and see.
- Here you will find information on current tax issues, frequently asked questions and important details. Specialist articles from tax consultants also provide assistance.
Avoid mistakes in taxes for the self-employed
Taxes for the self-employed and the legal form: Choose the right legal form for your self-employment. Because the establishment of a GmbH means that you have to pay wage tax for the managing director's salary right from the start. However, at the beginning of the establishment, there is hardly any talk of profit.
Taxes for the self-employed and missing contracts: When founders seek help from family members and friends without paying them, the company gives away taxes. Because every family member has numerous income tax exemptions that are so wasted.
Taxes for the self-employed and low advance payments: If the income tax prepayments are too low, the back payment can cause financial problems. A voluntary upward adjustment therefore makes sense.
Taxes for the self-employed and sales tax: The extension of the deadline for the pre-registration of the sales tax also means the delay in the possible input tax reimbursement. You should also keep your receipts in a safe place, otherwise you will be giving away input tax deductions.
Taxes for the self-employed and insufficient bookkeeping: Missing or incorrect receipts or incorrect account management lead to late or underpaid sales tax.
Put taxes in safe hands: We recommend a tax advisor for your company.Find a tax advisor
Tax and accounting
In addition to the individual taxes that arise for companies, you will also be confronted with numerous accounting questions in everyday business life. Be it how to write the invoice correctly, make the advance VAT return or prepare the annual financial statements. We have put together the bookkeeping chapter for you.
As editor-in-chief, René Klein has been responsible for the content of the portal and all publications by Für-Gründer.de for over 10 years. He is a regular interlocutor in other media and writes numerous external specialist articles on start-up topics. Before his time as editor-in-chief and co-founder of Für-Gründer.de, he advised listed companies in the field of financial market communication.
- What did the mother of Jesus look like?
- Why don't you like or hate PewDiePie
- Are you a cop who is with another cop
- Employers pay taxes on employees
- Which Honda vehicle do you own
- Why do older people complain so much
- How likely is Scotland's independence after Brexit
- Where should I learn to surf in Bali
- Who is the designer of Mercedes cars
- What's your interracial love story
- How thick should the handrail be
- What makes a guy cool
- Should the dividend distribution tax be abolished
- Is the home care service safe and secure?
- How do you accept your fate
- Depression is inevitable for INFPs
- How can you report corruption in local government?
- Is the application of deodorant spray harmful?
- What is the most unique kitchen
- What are some problems with Steven Universe
- What is calibration in BPO
- What did you do last semester
- Why do Mexicans look so good
- What is a Rothschilds central bank
- Why do rich people collect cars
- Are graphic novels the same as comics
- Why are the French so fit
- What a king Josiah was
- Why am I so irresponsible
- What is a good alternative to google maps
- Unthink is dead
- How do Tamils feel about Malayalis
- How much does an apostille cost
- Who is Mary Magdalene in the Bible