Who pays the most federal income tax
Does 20% of the US population pay 80% of federal income tax?
For federal income tax, you can get the actual numbers from the IRS Tax stats- Retrieve website. There are a few complications to finding this out, including:
- The IRS numbers are divided into sections based on income, so it is difficult to get exactly 20%.
- These numbers only include people who have filed a tax return. Those with no income are not included in these numbers, but I'll assume you intended to include them in your 20% number
- Lots of people filing together, these numbers are based on number of returns, not people.
What I was able to calculate in my trustworthy Excel spreadsheet that comes close to an answer is this:
The top 16.7% of Adjusted Gross Income (over $ 100,000) pays 69% of federal income taxes.
The top 27.7% of Adjusted Gross Income ($ 75,000 +) pays 79.5% of federal income taxes.
To get technical, the claim that 20% will pay 80% is wrong because the best 27% do not pay that much. That said, the numbers aren't so far away that the underlying point has no value.
The numbers get lopsided when you look at the top of the income earners, with the top 1% paying nearly 27.6% of all federal income taxes.
Note: These are the figures for 2009. They obviously vary from year to year.
- Are Argentina allies
- Can a Briton drink American tap water
- Are INFP and INTJ relationships healthy?
- What are the career prospects for engineering
- Earthquakes cause more earthquakes
- What are the social effects of Judaism?
- How do governments pay off unfunded liabilities
- Is China a technocracy in any way?
- Do widowers really love their second wives
- Is goat breeding profitable in Karnataka
- Why do truckers hate Swift so much
- What do I do after an overdose
- Are there construction sites for nursing
- What is your favorite uninteresting pastime?
- How do you never show weakness why
- Suffers from a social construct
- Pakistan is on the verge of collapse
- What are some popular Spanish dishes
- How does Beijing's nightlife compare to Shanghai?
- Do China and Japan speak the same language
- Can international students work in China?
- What screams I'm a food snob
- What are some examples of credit unions
- What happens when we eat cockroaches