Why is oxymoron an oxymoron
A oxymoron is a concept or a rhetorical figure that is composed of two opposing or contradicting terms. The contradiction can appear in a term, but also in a group of words or in a sentence.
Oxymora are occasionally used deliberately as a stylistic device, possibly provocatively or as a warning to point out a grievance that ends in a contradiction or is already in one. A oxymoron can also be understood as adversarial in a broad context.
The term is based on the Greek word oxymoron attributed to whichoxys (sharp [sensible]) and moros (stupid, dull, sluggish). According to the Greek translation, the word itself forms a contradiction (sharp-blunt).
Audio sample: Listen to the pronunciation
Phonetic transcription (IPA):[ɔˈksyːmoʁɔn]
Known Oxymora are: bittersweet, hurry with a while, love-hate relationship, negative growth or rule exception.
As a religious feminist, I am one for them oxymoron. I am someone who shouldn't really exist.
Subscribe for free and learn a new foreign word every day
Receive the word of the day every morning with our free newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time. Your data will not be passed on to third parties for advertising purposes.
More interesting words:
contradictory - The adjective contradictory means "contradicting one another" and can be used in ...
Premise - The noun premise comes from the Latin word praemissa, which ...
apodictic - The adjective apodictic has two meanings. Educational language meant ...
rhetorical - rhetoric stands for the art of speaking and has been around since the ...
Theodicy - Theodicy is a largely uncommon in everyday language ...
- Eliminate chemical odors from air fresheners
- Do you have a unique business idea?
- What is archeology
- What is an address name
- Is there a Chinese dictionary authority
- Why are college dropouts more successful
- What improves your methadone
- Why do some Sikhs hate Namdhari Sikhs
- Who investigates corrupt judges and prosecutors?
- Why do most people lose hope easily
- What do Americans think of as Asian?
- What are state roads
- Why are they not paid
- Why do Chinese people eat crabs
- Is the typical French baguette vegan
- How do you say listen in Tagalog
- Who was Robert McNara
- Is Jimin a girl in BTS
- Maids are worth the price
- Who is your family
- Who makes you flinch
- What do foreigners think of Portuguese food
- An IQ of 146 is good
- What is cheap and best projector