How does rain affect freshly poured concrete?
Concrete and rain
Concrete doesn't dry, it sets
Colloquially, the setting of the composite building material is also referred to as the "concrete drying time". However, this designation is wrong in terms of content. Because concrete does not dry in the conventional sense. Rather, the mixing water is bound as crystal water in the concrete. But it is also interesting to see where concrete can be installed anywhere and still set:
- in conventional civil engineering
- in wet construction pits as a base plate
- under water
The water-cement value
Cement needs water for chemical reaction. The cement can chemically and physically absorb a certain amount of water. With conventional Portland cement, that's around 40 percent. This value is given as the water-cement value (w / c value) as 0.40. Do-it-yourselfers in particular tend to increase the flow properties of concrete by adding more water to it.
Too much water in the fresh concrete reduces the quality of the building material
However, this water can no longer be bound. While the concrete hardens, this water is practically pushed out of the young concrete - the concrete bleeds. This creates capillary pores. These not only reduce the density of the concrete. They also make the composite building material significantly more unstable and therefore less pressure-resistant.
However, the required water must not be withdrawn from the cement
If, however, concrete is now poured at high summer temperatures and the w / c value has been correct beforehand, water is removed from the concrete through evaporation. As a result, the cement can no longer set properly and increased cracking can also be observed. Now you are wondering what all this has to do with rain.
Post-treatment of concrete
At the beginning we wrote that you cannot generally assume that rain will damage the concrete. Especially in summer, when it is very hot, the concrete has to be supplied with water anyway. This post-treatment of the concrete is extremely important because this is the only way to ensure that the concrete will have the required properties.
Water in the concrete must not evaporate
How much the water evaporates in the concrete also depends on the relative humidity. The higher this is, the less water can evaporate. It can therefore be an advantage, especially in summer, if it rains while the concrete is being poured. But the rain can also fall on the young concrete during the hardening phase.
Rain can be very helpful during concreting and post-treatment
Only immediately after installing or pouring concrete should you ensure that heavy rain does not wash out the cement paste. However, even a slight rain does not affect fresh concrete that has just been poured. Otherwise it would not be possible to process concrete under water.
frequently asked Questions
Can fresh concrete tolerate rain?
Basically yes. Since concrete does not dry but rather sets, water on the concrete surface does not damage it. Only freshly poured concrete should be protected from excessive rain (washing out) immediately after pouring.
Can concrete harden when it rains?
The setting process in concrete is independent of the surrounding moisture; only the mixing water stored in the cement in the form of crystal water is required for the chemical setting process. Concrete can even harden under water.
Why is concrete covered when it hardens?
This is not done to protect against rain, but on the contrary to protect against dehydration. If evaporation is too high, the mixing water would also evaporate from the concrete and the concrete would be weakened by the lack of crystal water.
- How are drones used?
- Is the university in Australia expensive
- Where can you get aunts in Delhi
- In which countries are honor killings legal?
- Why are Chinese people Asians
- What is an armchair anthropologist
- When is it worth taking a risk?
- Killing dogs of wolves
- Why are you so alone
- What Makes a CPA Company Successful
- Who estimates the poverty line in India?
- Why is oxymoron an oxymoron
- Pakistan is on the verge of collapse
- Do you accept Arab people
- Pakistan is changing under Prime Minister Imran Khan
- Is it okay to be alone forever?
- Which zodiac sign is the worst
- What disappointed you in Montreal
- Are breakfast cereals too full of sugar?
- How much does an Io domain cost
- Where is the best pizza in Phuket
- Nurten is a Turkish word
- Why is Derek Jeter called Mr November
- Are protests against Trump's presidency justified?
- What is the best parenting policy
- Can hearing people be culturally deaf
- Who in your life enjoyed school
- How does leasing a car work
- What are the saponification processes and reactions
- Family life is good
- Who is Aries
- Grade 9 is more difficult than Grade 10
- Is it okay for boys to cry
- Why did friends become so popular