What does low temperature mean in bad weather
Body temperature: which values are normal?
A certain body temperature is important for the organism to function and for all metabolic processes to run smoothly. Fluctuations in temperature are still normal, because the so-called core body temperature never stays exactly the same and is influenced by various factors.
Body temperature can also vary individually. Values between 36.3 and 37.4 degrees Celsius are referred to as normal temperatures. Values below or above, on the other hand, can indicate disease processes and also become a health problem themselves.
Hypothalamus regulates body temperature
The internal body temperature is regulated by the hypothalamus. This part of the brain constantly checks the current temperature and compares it with the "healthy" temperature of around 37 degrees Celsius. If the internal body temperature is too low, the hypothalamus ensures that the body generates and retains heat. If the temperature is too high, heat is given off or sweat is produced, which cools the skin.
Slight fluctuations in body temperature are normal
Fluctuations in body temperature are normal and depend on external and internal factors. It rises when you exercise and is lower at night than during the day.
The following factors can influence a person's body temperature:
- Time of day: In the afternoon the temperature is highest and can be up to one degree above the morning value. Then it falls off again.
- Emotions: feelings affect body temperature. For example, it is usually increased during stress.
- Physical activity: During exercise or other heavy physical exertion, the temperature can rise to 40 degrees Celsius.
- Illnesses can lead to a higher, but also to a lower body temperature.
- Hormonal fluctuations in women: One to two days after ovulation, the body temperature in women rises by around 0.5 degrees Celsius.
Small children have a higher temperature
The body temperature of infants and young children is generally slightly higher than that of adults. One of the reasons for this is that their body surface area is larger in relation to their body weight and their metabolism is more active. The temperature control does not work so well for them, and they sweat less. For this reason, they also react more quickly to changes with a fever.
From 38 degrees Celsius one speaks of a fever
Fever is actually a meaningful response from the body. It occurs when the brain sets the body temperature higher than normal - usually to fight pathogens such as viruses or bacteria. One speaks of a fever when the temperature inside the body rises to at least 38 degrees Celsius.
The following guide values apply to human body temperature:
- 33.0 to 34.9 ° C - hypothermia
- 35.0 to 36.2 ° C - undertemperature
- 36.3 to 37.4 ° C - normal temperature
- 37.5 to 37.9 ° C - Slightly increased temperature
- 38.0 to 38.5 ° C - Mild fever
- 38.6 to 39.0 ° C - Moderate fever
- 39.1 to 39.9 ° C - High fever
- 40.0 to 40.9 ° C - Very high fever
- 41.0 ° C and higher - Extreme fever
Core body temperature is crucial
In science, a distinction is made between core body temperature and surface temperature. The core body temperature is the temperature in the vital internal organs. The surface temperature, also known as the peel value, describes the values on the skin. Due to the outside temperature, it is exposed to much greater fluctuations than the core body temperature and is usually lower than this.
Photo: © ladysuzi - stock.adobe.com
- What is the youth obsessed with?
- What are the requirements for an abstract algebra
- Why are people exposed to bullying
- What are some interesting facts about millennials
- Why do immigrants leave Sweden
- What is the name of the conscription service
- How exactly is science helping to replace religion?
- What is social impact investing
- What are some good staff guidelines
- What are some examples of verbal abuse
- Does laser hair removal work
- Why did the Indian uprising fail?
- Like many Turks speak Ottoman Turkish
- What percentage of Wikipedia changes will be reset
- Invest in speculation or gambling
- What are some examples of monolingual countries
- Are you in los angeles
- How much does Ambani earn per minute
- Are there natural risks in Akure Nigeria?
- All Bangladeshi Bengalis are dark skin
- What is China exporting to us
- What activities do you do for fun
- How would Trump weaken the US dollar
- Why is GDP important for entrepreneurs
- Is Arya Stark already dead
- How many hours do architects work
- What types of cameras do filmmakers use
- Why is modern art absolute garbage
- Has New Mexico vehicle inspections
- BBC Russia is funded by UK taxpayers
- Are narcissists delusional and mentally unstable
- What was the longest duration of your arrhythmia attack
- What's your solution for an upset stomach