Where does the word sesquipedalian come from?
Part of speech: noun, (Female)Hyphenation:
- Hip | po | po | to | mon | stro | ses | quip | pe | da | li | o | pho | bie, Plural: Hip | po | po | to | mon | stro | ses | quip | pe | da | li | o | pho | bi | en
- 1) Colloquial, technical incorrect:Fear of long words
- Borrowing from Englishhippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, the end hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian, a compound of a misspelling of the nounhippopotamus (German: Hippopotamus), the Latin nounmonstrous and the English nounsesquipedalian (German: a long word; a person who uses a long word), and phobia is composed.
- It is a made-up word that is supposed to reflect its own meaning ironically. It is often claimed that the word was first spread on the Internet, but there is no concrete evidence of this. A reference to hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian can already be found in 1979 in the English dictionary “Mrs. Byrne's dictionary of unusual, obscure, and preposterous words "
- 1) sesquipedalophobia
- 1) fear, phobia
- 1) “Or you just pronounce the name of the word fear disease. Some cruel psychologist came up with the 36-letter monster, the term Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, thought up. How mean."
- 1) “The humor and the serenity ran through his illustrated lecture, where he suffered from illnesses such as the fear of long words (Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia) introduced. "
- 1) "The second longest word, Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, has only 36 letters. Guess what it means Afraid of long words! "
- 1) “Then there is the so-called Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. This term in turn describes the fear of very, very long words. "
- 1) “Do you know people who suffer from pentheraphobia, the fear of their mother-in-law? Or even under Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, the fear of long words? "
- Nominative: singular Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia; Plural Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobias
- Genitive: singular Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia; Plural Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobias
- Dative: singular Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia; Plural Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobias
- Accusative: singular Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia; Plural Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobias
- English: 1) hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia
- French: 1) Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
Entries from our dictionary containing "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobie":
phobia: ... hereiophobia, heresyphobia, herpetophobia, heart phobia, heterophobia, hierophobia, hippophobia, hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, homichlophobia, homilophobia, hominophobia ...
Sesquipedalophobia: ... Note: This word is often equated with the - technically incorrect - word "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobie" Hyphenation: Ses | qui | pe | da | lo | pho | bie ...
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobias:… Grammatical features: nominative plural of the noun Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobie genitive plural of the noun Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobie dative plural of the noun…
Hippopotamus: a group, clan of hippopotamus / hippopotami word formations: Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobie See translations under Hippopotamus (neuter)
Rate & Share
Rate the dictionary entry or share it with friends.
Quote & print
Quote this page:
"Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobie" in the online dictionary Wortbedeutung.info (20.5.2021) URL: https://www.wortbedeutung.info/Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobie/
Comments from users
There are currently no comments on this entry.
Complete the dictionary entry
Wortscheutung.info is a Language dictionary and is used to look up all linguistic information. It's explicit not an encyclopedia and no subject dictionary that explains content. Add a note to the entry "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobie". These help to improve our dictionary. Questions, requests for help and complaints are not welcome and will be deleted immediately. HTML tags are not allowed.
The following terms
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobias (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: Hip | po | po | to | mon | stro | ses | quip | pe | da | li | o | pho | bi | en Grammatical ...
Hippos (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: Hip | pos Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ˈhɪpos] Grammatical…
Hippuric acid (German) Part of speech: noun, (feminine) Cases: nominative: singular die Hippuric acid; Plural - genitive: singular ...
hipster (German) Part of speech: noun, (male) Cases: nominative: singular hipster; Plural hipster genitive: singular ...
Hipster beard (German) Part of speech: noun, (male) Cases: nominative: singular hipster beard; Plural hipster beards genitive: ...
Hipster beard (German) Part of speech: Declined form Secondary forms: Hipsterbarts Hyphenation: Hip | ster | bar | tes…
Hipster beards (German) Part of speech: Declined form Secondary forms: Hipsterbartes Hyphenation: Hip | ster | barts…
Hipster beards (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: Hip | ster | bär | te Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
Hipster beards (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: Hip | ster | bär | ten Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
Hipsters (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: Hips | tern Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ˈhɪpstɐn]…
- What is a binary coded decimal number
- What made Fortnite such a popular game
- What do you hate about popular music?
- Would you eat horse meat
- Is it safe to massage during pregnancy?
- Receive travel agents discounts
- What is this company MG Car Company
- How do Indonesians call their country
- How do Americans know the English pronunciation?
- Which ethnicities are the hairiest
- Who made you cry today
- San Diego is a military city
- Popcorn is popular outside of the US
- What is Bill Gates IQ 4
- What does a happy life entail
- How can I import from Japan
- Do professors ever marry their students?
- How can motivation be relative to learning
- What is the most difficult logical puzzle
- Where does the term cuckservative come from?
- A life without end can have no meaning
- What differences between Chinese Tiongkok
- What is currently better under LBSIM FORE
- Why did the US kill Pablo Escobar