Which is the fashion capital of India
7 fashion designers from Mumbai you need to know
Born and raised in Mumbai, Tahiliani first joined his family's oil industry after graduating from Wharton University of Pennsylvania. The switch to fashion came in 1987 when Tahiliani and his wife Sailaja 'Sal' founded Tahiliani Ensemble, India's first multi-designer boutique. Tahiliani soon began designing and in 1991 attended the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York. Today Tahiliani is one of the most renowned designers in the country, while Ensemble remains one of the most popular fashion boutiques.
Among the leading Indian designers, Anita Dongre created Indian fashions for leading Mumbai boutiques until she was inspired to start the much acclaimed And Designs (which is now the home of Anita Dongre). Her brands today are AND, the boho-chic Global Desi and her trademark Anita Dongre. With outlets across the country, Dongre is undoubtedly one of India's most popular designers.
Manish Malhotra is one of the most renowned fashion designers in India's history. Born in 1965, Malhotra's first introduction to the industry was while trying to model for a popular brand while studying art at Elphinstone College in Mumbai. He soon switched from modeling to design and at the age of 25 was given the opportunity to work in Bollywood costume design. Today Malhotra is one of the most influential costume designers in Bollywood - who largely dictated Indian fashion.
Known for her iconic bridal creations, as well as her work in Bollywood costume design, including the seminal Devdas (2002), Neeta Lulla has been one of the country's leading designers for over a quarter of a century. The designer, who won the National Film Award, has also taught fashion design for decades and recently opened the International Neeta School of Fashion in Mumbai.
Manish Arora is celebrated worldwide for his colorful creations that effortlessly blend Indian elements with global styles. He was born and raised in Mumbai but received his fashion education at the National Institute of Fashion Technology in New Delhi in 1994. Within years of his studies he brought his label Manish Arora on the market and presented his work in the first In 2000, the India Fashion Week took place in New Delhi. Today Arora is one of the most influential figures in Indian fashion.
Born in 1989, the cult designer has captured a place in the country's fashion scene in a relatively short span of time. Masaba Gupta, a graduate of SNDT Women's University in Mumbai, is known for her unconventional prints, bold colors and unique creative interpretations of traditional clothing. Her label, House of Masaba, is one of the trendiest in India today.
At the age of just 15, Payal Singhal won first prize for "Shopper Stop Designer of the Year". She studied fashion design at SNDT Women's University, founded her own label and presented her work in major fashion shows across the country. Today her label is known for elegant bridal wear and contemporary interpretations of traditional clothing.
Author: Julio McKinney
Julio Mckinney is a 46 year old journalist. Bacon Maven. Music fanatic. Travel nerd. Proud Reader. Communicator. Prone to apathetic seizures. Alcohol fan. Creator.
- What do you care about me?
- Large budget deficits inevitably lead to inflation
- How do you make someone feel obliged
- Are there international travel agencies in Europe?
- Which companies are hiring new electrical engineering graduates?
- USA is nowadays an unsafe country for Indians
- Why do toddlers beat their parents
- When do people say someone is hot?
- How can I build my own pyramid
- When will tantrums decrease in young children
- How much do copywriters earn with direct answer
- Guys like to lick the vagina
- How much do remote developers make
- Marathon runners hear music while running
- Narcissists are hoarders of people
- What makes a startup successful?
- Can women in Jannah have male whores
- Asians like Asian fusion food
- What is an islamic version of god
- Which branch of government can indict judges?
- Which fruits are popular in Turkey
- How many US Congressmen are there
- Can a lazy person stop being lazy
- How's Jack Dorsey
- Why do you love Russians
- What are the best solutions for traffic
- What did the ancient Egyptians invent
- Why is the Vietnamese government ineffective
- Why are engineering graduates unemployed
- What is the dirtiest city in Pakistan
- How do I cook Nasi Goreng
- What can I do in London
- Western values should be defended