Can swimming really cure sciatica
sciatica Fight back pain effectively
This is how sciatica torments us
The typical symptoms are (sometimes severe) pulling back pain in the lumbar area, at the level of the lumbar spine. Further symptoms are, for example, numbness, tingling and other sensory disorders, a deterioration in the ability to coordinate up to paralysis. In particularly severe cases, bladder and bowel disorders (incontinence) occur.
If a herniated disc has pinched or damaged the sciatic nerve, the symptoms usually appear suddenly and very violently and are described by those affected as tearing. Running, walking, standing and sitting create problems. Often the pain does not go away even when lying down and the patient does not rest even at night.
What to do if the sciatica is “stuck”?
As an immediate measure, it helps to lie flat on your back, lift your legs and place your lower legs on a chair. This relieves and stretches the lumbar region. Pain relief also promises careful walking and movement, while the symptoms tend to increase when sitting and in the longer term, even with excessive rest. There is nothing wrong with short-term bed rest, as the tense muscles relax more easily in a warm bed. Warm compresses, heat patches, and light massages of the painful area can also be beneficial.
Sciatica - this is how the doctor helps
Since an inflamed sciatic nerve can be extremely painful, more extensive treatments are often necessary: with painkillers, local anesthetic injections into the back muscles, and muscle-relaxing and anti-inflammatory drugs such as cortisone.
Many patients have also had good experiences with acupuncture, with professional massages of the tense hip and leg muscles as well as chiropractic treatments. Also advisable: Physiotherapy, as strengthening the back and abdominal muscles can prevent irritation of the sciatic nerve. Imbalances in the muscles of the lower back can be compensated for with therapeutic exercises.
An operation may be necessary if the pain is accompanied by motor disorders or if the patient has repeatedly suffered from severe herniated discs. The same applies to functional impairments of the bladder and intestines as well as reflex or sensory disorders.
Special case: sciatica and runners
Running is a good way to prevent sciatica pain. Nevertheless, during intensive running training, lifting the legs can lead to muscle tension, which can cause pain. Especially if the athlete neglects stretching exercises for the back of the thighs. As a result of the muscle shortening, the pelvis tends to tilt forward as the sciatica progresses, so that the runner increasingly falls into the hollow back. This unfavorable posture can also pinch and irritate the sciatica.
Pinched Sciatica - How to Prevent
With a lot of exercise in everyday life (plus good sitting posture, correct lifting, etc.) and special exercises, you can effectively prevent yourself. Running and walking are recommended to compensate for muscular imbalances and muscle shortening, as regular running training can compensate for the negative effects of a predominantly sedentary lifestyle. In addition to running, you should also do strength training for the back and abdominal muscles and stretching exercises for the hip flexors and the back of the thighs. This prevents muscle shortening and stabilizes the pelvis in its position so that the sciatic nerve is less easily irritated.
Sciatica - special exercises
To do this, take the basic position, that is: The practitioner lies on his back and puts his feet on the floor with his knees bent.
- Sciatica Exercise 1: Use both hands to pull your right knee up to your right shoulder (as far as possible) and hold it in this position for 30 seconds. Repeat three times, switch legs. Finally, pull both knees towards your shoulders at the same time, with your chin always pointing towards your chest (also applies to the exercises with one knee!).
- Sciatica exercise 2: From the basic position, slowly lift the legs alternately ten times and lower them again just as slowly, if possible without touching the ground. Absolutely avoid the formation of a hollow back, therefore press your arms firmly on the floor and pull your chin towards your chest.
- Sciatica Exercise 3: Clasp your hands behind your head. Now roll onto your left side ten times with your knees bent until you feel a slight pull in the lumbar region. Hold this position for a few seconds and then lay your knees on your right side.
- What makes Americans so stubborn in general?
- Why are games written in C ++
- Will the Indian population decline
- Which mathematical concepts are mainly used in physics?
- Banking in the secondary or tertiary sector
- How can I learn Telugu in Kolkata
- Mobile advertising in Brazil
- How are minority rights protected?
- What is a good recipe for croissants
- How do you know when you are poor
- What are government jobs 1
- Why did you change your mind today?
- Must have handrails
- What does David mean in the Bible
- What are the requirements for an abstract algebra
- Where can I hire full-stack developers?
- All programmers can become hackers
- What makes a good investment
- Liberalism dies
- Why should we think about our future
- What does humanity mean
- Do tax cuts really cause economic growth?
- Cops ever get rich
- When did you see a teacher cry?