What is the name of the study of the generations
Generation Z in their studies: What makes students tick in 2019?
1 . Student evaluation of the Young Germans 2019 study
For students of the Generation Z pressure to perform is the mega topic. The big question that determines the whole course of study is whether you will be good enough to have the desired chances after graduating. Below you can see what makes Generation Z students tick, based on the results of the representative survey Young Germans 2019
The most formative influences
- 71% family cohesion
- 67% pressure to perform
- 61% smartphone usage
- 58% sustainable lifestyle
- 50% fear of the future
Expectations from a good employer
- 62% Good working atmosphere
- 59% Good balance between work and leisure
- 53% compatibility of family and work
- 50% doing something that I find useful
- 46% Long-term job security
The greatest motivation for achievement
- 51% fun
- 42% achieve goals
- 40% doing something useful
- 37% passion
- 37% doing a good job
* Note: The data are based on the evaluation of the representative survey “Young Germans 2019”. Evaluation of students today - BA / MA / dual studies (N = 158)
2. Generation Z student interviews
The 1998 Bologna reforms of the higher education system have long been implemented. But what is it like to study today? I discussed these questions in numerous interviews with students and discussed three topics: challenges, transition to professional life and good lectures.
What are the biggest challenges in studying today?
- Getting a balance between studying and private life plus doing projects
- Too little time, because the studies are completely absorbed
- No space for extra curriculum activities and commitment (although that is exactly what matters)
- Lack of (perceived) relevance of many course contents
- Gathering practical experience in addition to studying
What do students find particularly important for the transition into professional life?
- Build and maintain relationships / connections / vitamin B.
- Attend networking events
- Use internship fairs
- Include external / practical guests in the lectures
- Get shown what professional perspectives there are
- Understand what the professional perspectives mean ("professional identities")
- That lecturers build up and encourage the students (instead of putting them down, which unfortunately sometimes happens, á la "it's always questionable whether you have a chance at the competition")
What is a good lecture from the student's point of view?
- "In a good lecture I have no interest or no time to look at my smartphone"
- "Forbid the use of smartphones in the lecture is not possible! At most if there are extra breaks in communication ... "
- “Lectures should be fun and offer added value. I can also read the script at home and have learned more as a result "
- Good lecturers make the lecture varied: they show a video, build in a vote to assess a topic, or let the students solve tasks freely
- In a good lecture, the relevance of the content is clear, as lecturers clarify the WHY, show concrete application examples and make a transparent demarcation with regard to the examination relevance
- Students find lectures / courses with a vision very cool: the goal is relevant and becomes more visible with each lecture / exercise, like a puzzle, or the learning progress can be felt continuously
3. Arriving for freshmen: with an Ersticamp
“Arriving at university is not always easy. It helps to network and see what opportunities there are at the university "
Head of the Central Student Advisory Service Miriam Bischoff on the goal of the Ersticamp
"The great thing about a barcamp is that the students can bring up topics themselves and meet people who have similar interests"
Simon Schnetzer, youth researcher and moderator of the Ersticamp
More than 150 students accepted the invitation from Aalen University's student advisory service, even if they didn't really know what to expect at the beginning. Session, pitch and the rule of the bees are essential elements of a barcamp - but most of them were not yet familiar with this form. A session provider has only 45 seconds at the very beginning to pitch their content and get the participants enthusiastic about their workshop. You decide for yourself which session the freshmen want to participate in. Above all, one thing is important: It should be fun and bring added value to both participants and session providers.
Examples of sessions at the Ersticamp
- Studium Generale as a hero's journey
- Success story of a graduate
- International friendships in the buddy program
- Brainwriting as a method for quick problem solving
- Confidence for freshmen
The range of sessions offered was large, exciting and varied. A highlight was certainly the very well attended speed dating, where the students could inform each other about their shoe size, role models or food preferences and make new friends.
From the press release HS-Aalen https://www.pressebox.de/pressemitteilung/hochschule-aalen-technik-und-wirtschaft/Barcamp-fuer-Erstsemester-an-der-Hochschule-Aalen/boxid/981083
4th Consultant days and PR days of the DSW
The need for advice from students is increasing enormously. At the 2019 consultancy conference of the German Student Union (DSW), 140 consultants from colleges and universities met to better understand the academic generation and to exchange experiences on how they can better serve their needs.
Dealing with the increasing expectations of students in terms of advice?
- The pressure to perform increases
»Students constantly compare themselves with others and worry about whether the grades are sufficient for their next goal, such as admission to the master’s degree. Tips and courses for more study success and mindfulness are becoming more and more important.
- WhatsApp friends are of little help with problems
»Students are used to receiving digital feedback quickly in everyday life. During their studies they prefer real contact persons with experience and tips for their problems and fears (finances, pressure, future). As a rule, these are the parents and increasingly also the student advisors.
- Expectation of quick feedback
»The waiting lists for the student advisory service are getting longer and the patience of those waiting, who are used to Insta feedback, is decreasing. Student counseling has good experiences with supplementary offers such as online counseling, online courses e.g. on financing topics, counseling meetups, or self-help groups in order to be able to help faster, despite limited resources.
5. Current research and events: "Generation Z Students"
6th Conclusion: study today and tomorrow
More and more young people want to study in order to improve their chances for the future. But the value of a course changes in the perception of the students because the course is so schooled, there is no time for practical experience and the value of an education is in no way inferior to a bachelor's degree (on the contrary). As a result, the time at the university or college has become quite relaxed: a lot of pressure, little free time and commitment.
Therefore, I wish colleges that they
- use more freedom in curricula and lectures,
- Establish more contacts: to practice, to former students and between students (across semesters) and
- provide good advice and information (e.g. with an Ersticamp)
And I want students to do so
- Find out about prospects at an early stage in order to make sense of their studies
- Proactively demand from lecturers the relevance of the content, contacts to practice and participation in the lecture
- take the freedom to get involved
Studying is a great time to learn new things, meet people and gain experience. In short, to do what sets us apart from artificially intelligent systems. This mission is becoming more and more important for universities: to promote emotional intelligence as a unique selling point of people.
- What all Indians should know about Maharashtra
- Why do Chinese people eat crabs
- Why does a slag arise when welding?
- How do I survive alone without friends
- Why is sex okay before marriage
- How evil people can be
- When do people say someone is hot?
- How can I get BPO projects
- How can money laundering be prevented
- What is your kind of guy girl
- Freelance means working from home
- Are the doctors at Grey's Anatomy real?
- How can Quora attract more theologians
- How does an unemployed life feel?
- Why is UIDAI not working
- A reverse mortgage is a good idea
- Maids steal from hotel rooms
- What does existence mean in Heidegger's philosophy
- Can anticyclones block hurricanes
- Which grocery ordering app do you use
- Is is Jodie Foster's biography
- How does a genius think
- How are you doing in Australia
- When does life get difficult
- Why is Mukesh Ambani so rich
- How were the countries divided
- Why is a long distance relationship unique
- How are the streets kept so clean
- Which is your favorite book 1
- Are there any jobs in Noida
- Is kyphosis repairable
- Is job is better than business
- What is your opinion on Telangana
- What is a lobster etouffee